Cricket and tennis
have been a part of the Tuggeranong Homestead for many years. The homestead
has a historic link to Gallipoli through Charles (CEW) Bean who organised
a game on the Gallipoli beach.
The extant concrete
cricket pitch was laid April 1st 1921 by CEW Bean and his staff
of historians and assisted by their friends, the local farming families.
The new pitch replaced
an ant-bed wicket and was surveyed by Bean's draftsman Peter Wightman.
John Balfour, Bean's secretary, supervised the working bee. The bags
of concrete arrived at the Tuggranong siding by train from Queanbeyan
and carried to the homestead by cart where they were mixed and laid
in the southern paddock near the homestead.
A game of cricket
took place on the new wicket two days later and continued regularly
for the duration of Bean's occupancy - until autumn 1925. The local
rag "The Queanbeyan Age" regularly reported on cricket matches
between the Tuggranong team and Eastlake
(2 March 1923), Michelago
(12 October 1923) and Williamsdale
(7 December 1923) and cricket related tales such as the Cricketers'
"Smoko" (22 May 1923). The pitch was continually
used until 1977 when the McCormack family's lease was compulsorily resumed.
summary (more information