Minders Of Tuggeranong Homestead
Incorporated

HOMESTEAD
 

Home

Moth Information

Projects

Homestead

People

Sport

Gallery

Bibliography

Links to
Other Sites

Homestead Timeline

Prior to 1824
Tuggranong plains and wetland supports Aboriginal population
1827
2000 acres of Tuggranong land granted to Peter Murdoch
1829
2560 acres granted to John McLaren adjoining Murdoch's grant, establishes a dairy, erects huts
1834
Tuggranong property used as a blanket distribution station for Aborigines
1835
Thomas Macquoid, Sheriff of the Supreme Court of NSW, purchases both Murdoch's & McLaren's grants and establishes "Waniassa", erects stone hut and barn using convict labour
1841
Sheriff Macquoid suicides, bankrupt, Waniassa managed by his son Hya Macquoid
1856
Macquoid survives financial crisis and visits England
1857
Macquoid drowns aboard the wreck of the "Dunbar" near South Head
1858
Andrew Cunningham (Sen.) from Lanyon, purchases Waniassa, property known as "Tuggranong", erects slab office
1887
Andrew Cunningham dies, Tuggranong property passed to his son James & Andrew (Jnr) also Lanyon and other properties in the district
1889
James Cunningham marries Mary Twynam of "Riversdale", Goulburn, 8 children born to them from 1890-1902
1908
Homestead remodeled, extended, becomes the largest pise construction in the district including maids' quarters and acetylene gas
1917
Tuggranong purchased by the Commonwealth Government for military purposes and wartime administration, Cunningham's relocate to Lanyon
1919
Historian CEW Bean and his staff commence writing Australia's official history of the Great War while residing at Tuggranong
1920
concrete cricket pitch laid nearby replacing the temporary ant-bed pitch
1925
Bean and his staff relocate to Sydney to complete the war history
1927
Grazier Timothy McCormack successfully tenders for Tuggranong, introduces mechanized farming and improvements, commences picnic racing & sports events
1929
shearing shed, dip and other purpose built buildings erected
1950
pise house partly remodeled & repaired, brick frontage and modern
family bathroom included in improvements
1954
newer shearing shed erected, pastoral improvements and diversification into grain crops and fine wool
1974
Tuggranong property resumed by the Commonwealth Government for suburban development, McCormack family vacates, house occupied by agricultural rangers
1980
31 hectare Tuggranong property classified by the National Trust of
Australia
1981
property nominated to the Register of the National Estate (AHC)
1988
property included in the NCDC's Sites of Significance- Site T15 (ACT 1984)
1989
property occupied by various tenants of the Tuggranong Pastoral Company
1992
Conservation & Management & Draft Variation plan deems the majority of the property suitable for medium density housing development
1993
Minders of Tuggeranong Homestead (MOTH Inc.) forms and successfully lobbies ACT Government against inappropriate residential development on a nationally classified heritage property, nominated by MOTH for inclusion on the Interim Heritage Places Register
1994
Plans for residential development overturned by ACT Government
1998
Federal Cultural & Heritage Program allocates $675,000 for urgent
restoration works and improvements to the homestead buildings
2001
Tuggeranong Homestead opens to the public as a café, conference and functions facility, receives ACT Heritage Council Heritage Award
2002
Draft Variation 185 & 196 released for public comment, permitting further development of unknown proportions, further development plans remain unresolved
2003
Tuggeranong Homestead Management Authority disbanded
2003
MOTH Website launched

 

Site Update Details Back to Top